Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Royal Affair

A Royal Affair is a 2012 historical drama film directed by Nikolaj Arcel on the affair between Queen Caroline Mathilde of Denmark and Johann von Struensee.

At the Berlin Film Fesitval, Mikkel Følsgaard won the Silver Bear for Best Actor and Nikolaj Arcel and Rasmus Heisterberg won the award for Best Script.
A Royal Affair is Denmark's submission for the 85th Academy Award's Best Foreign Language Film

Mads Mikkelsen as Johann von Struensee
Alicia Vikander as Queen Caroline Mathilde
Mikkel Følsgaard as Christian VII of Denmark

A Royal Affair is based on the 1999 Swedish novel "The Royal Physcian's Visit"

I give this book a 4.5/5. None of the actors in the movie particularly looked like the people they were portraying but that didn't matter because.....Mads Mikkelsen was FABULOUS. He could not have been more perfect in his role as Struensee. Mikk Folsgaard was amazing as Christian VII, absolutely nailing the disturbed king down to a tee. Alicia Vikander made a good Caroline Matilda but she was far eclipsed by the two male leads. The only complaint I had with the movie was when Dowager Queen Julianne Marie stormed into Christian's room; the scene in the movie was rather calm but I was expecting pandemonium.All in all, a fantastic film and I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone even if you're not a monarchist.

On a lighter note, since watching this movie I have fallen in love with the Danish language and, though I can not speak the language, annoy everyone I know by pretending that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment