Saturday, May 18, 2013

Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty


Royal Babylon: The Alarming History of European Royalty is a 2001 book written by Karl Shaw on the scandalous lives of European Royalty from the Romanovs of Russia to the Hanovers of Great Britain.

I give this book 1.5/5. You must forgive me, my little Duckies, for not writing a formal review but the book does not have a particular narrative in which to follow. Which was one of its many, many faults. Now this is not the first time I've read a book on the naughtier bits of Europe's past royals (I greatly enjoyed reading Eleanor Herman's Sex With Kings) but this book left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. Does EVERY king need to be mentally incapacitated? If a king had an interesting hobby, then that is obviously a sign of mental illness. Apparently there is no such thing as a beautiful royal bride, they all must be hideous, both inside and out. The British Royal family are all a bunch of inbreeding, hicks. Now do not get me wrong, I understand that being royal does not automatically make you an angel beyond reproach but he doesn't need to be so disrespectful! He also makes claims which are loosely supported and might infuriate some i.e. George V of the United Kingdom was actually a bigamist and embarked on many affairs while married to Mary of Teck! This is not the way you want go if a little monarchist fun is what you're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment